We are a group of developers and enthusiasts sharing knowledge, wisdom, and funny youtube videos.
If you’re interested in WordPress in Grand Rapids please join our email discussion list and check out the Meetup list!
Latest Blog Post
By Chad Warner on November 22, 2013
Our November 2013 meetup topic was WordPress Q&A/Study Hall. We discussed questions and helped each other with our WordPress sites. Here’s a summary of the questions, answers, and other items discussed.
If I missed any, please leave a comment, and I’ll add to the post.
Relational database to relate custom fields
- Posts 2 Posts: Efficient many-to-many connections between posts, pages, custom post types, users
- Pods: a framework for creating, managing, and deploying customized content types and fields
Responsive Mega Menu
- Hide Mega Menu on mobile, display simple navigation instead
- See MSNBC for reference
- UberMenu: user-friendly, highly customizable responsive Mega Menu WordPress plugin
Featured images in Genesis
- For archives, Genesis first looks for a featured image; if it can’t find it, it looks for the first image attached to the post
- Video Thumbnails will set video thumbnail as featured image
Fork a plugin and prevent updates
Must change plugin’s directory name
Breadcrumbs for CPTs
- Create archive and style it as desired
- Set archive to true for CPT, use rewrite API to point to desired page
Image resizing and compressing
Imsanity: automatically resizes huge image uploads
- Advanced Automatic Updates: Adds extra options to WordPress’ built-in Automatic Updates feature
- MP6: preview future WP admin UI
- Genericons: vector icons embedded in a webfont
- Mentionable: Mention WordPress content with inline autocomplete inside tinyMCE (Topher DeRosia’s plugin)
- Widget Customizer: Edit widgets and preview changes in Theme Customizer, with a control for each widget form in sections added for each sidebar rendered in the preview (Topher DeRosia’s plugin)
- Dependency Minification: automatically concatenates and minifies any scripts and stylesheets enqueued using the standard dependency system
- Query Monitor: View debugging and performance information on database queries, hooks, conditionals, HTTP requests, redirects and more.
- AppPresser: Build iOS/Android apps using WordPress
- Add From Server: allows you to import media & files into the WordPress uploads manager from the web server
- GiveCamp Grand Rapids: a weekend-long event where software developers, designers, and database administrators donate their time to create custom software for non-profit organizations.
- The User is Drunk: create UI that’s so good that drunks can use it
- SiteGround: web host
- DigitalOcean: web host
- WPSessions: training sessions by WordPress experts (run by Brian Richards)