King of SEO
Paul gave the following additional advice about slide 22:
- URL: don’t use hyphens in domain name
- Title: keyword first, then site name
- Don’t put site description in title, because it won’t fit in titles for blog posts anyway, and pages with shorter URLs won’t rank highly anyway.
- H1: stick with 1 per page, despite HTML5 allowing multiple H1s
- Don’t use headings for repeated sections, such as widgets
WordPress SEO by Yoast
- Titles & Metas
- Select Force rewrite titles
- Select Hide RSD Links
- Select Hide WLW Manifest Links
- Select Hide Shortlink for posts
- Post Types: Select Show date in snippet preview
- Social: configure as appropriate
- XML Sitemaps
- Select Ping Yahoo!
- Select Ping Ask.com
- Select Redirect attachment URL’s to parent post URL
- Force Transport: set to https if your site uses SSL
Paul gave the presentation Stop Selling SEO at WordCamp Grand Rapids 2012. Below is the video and slides from that talk.