Our November 2013 meetup topic was WordPress Q&A/Study Hall. We discussed questions and helped each other with our WordPress sites. Here’s a summary of the questions, answers, and other items discussed.
If I missed any, please leave a comment, and I’ll add to the post.
Relational database to relate custom fields
- Posts 2 Posts: Efficient many-to-many connections between posts, pages, custom post types, users
- Pods: a framework for creating, managing, and deploying customized content types and fields
Responsive Mega Menu
- Hide Mega Menu on mobile, display simple navigation instead
- See MSNBC for reference
- UberMenu: user-friendly, highly customizable responsive Mega Menu WordPress plugin
Featured images in Genesis
- For archives, Genesis first looks for a featured image; if it can’t find it, it looks for the first image attached to the post
- Video Thumbnails will set video thumbnail as featured image
Fork a plugin and prevent updates
Must change plugin’s directory name
Breadcrumbs for CPTs
- Create archive and style it as desired
- Set archive to true for CPT, use rewrite API to point to desired page
Image resizing and compressing
Imsanity: automatically resizes huge image uploads
- Advanced Automatic Updates: Adds extra options to WordPress’ built-in Automatic Updates feature
- MP6: preview future WP admin UI
- Genericons: vector icons embedded in a webfont
- Mentionable: Mention WordPress content with inline autocomplete inside tinyMCE (Topher DeRosia’s plugin)
- Widget Customizer: Edit widgets and preview changes in Theme Customizer, with a control for each widget form in sections added for each sidebar rendered in the preview (Topher DeRosia’s plugin)
- Dependency Minification: automatically concatenates and minifies any scripts and stylesheets enqueued using the standard dependency system
- Query Monitor: View debugging and performance information on database queries, hooks, conditionals, HTTP requests, redirects and more.
- AppPresser: Build iOS/Android apps using WordPress
- Add From Server: allows you to import media & files into the WordPress uploads manager from the web server
- GiveCamp Grand Rapids: a weekend-long event where software developers, designers, and database administrators donate their time to create custom software for non-profit organizations.
- The User is Drunk: create UI that’s so good that drunks can use it
- SiteGround: web host
- DigitalOcean: web host
- WPSessions: training sessions by WordPress experts (run by Brian Richards)