Our most recent meetup on 19 April 2018 featured a presentation by Brian Richards about Gutenberg. Brian was unable to be with us in person, so he pre-recorded his talk, and offered his side deck. Please enjoy.
We talked about Building a Portfolio in WordPress at our June 18, 2015 meetup. Below are the notes.
What are clients looking for in your portfolio?
Presented by Andrea Napierkowski
- Clients want to see themselves in your portfolio
- Less is more: don’t overwhelm people
- Make it easy to find the info they’re looking for (your portfolio, your phone number, etc.)
- Be uniquely you
- Use colors carefully; for example, blue and greens are generally more calming than reds, oranges, and yellows, which can be alarming
- Be funny, and joke as appropriate to your clients
Using the CMB2 plugin for custom fields
Presented by Topher DeRosia
- metabox, custom fields, and forms library
- doesn’t create CPTs
- much simpler than hand-coding
- faster than Advanced Custom Fields due to fewer queries
- use this to create your portfolio from scratch, rather than using a plugin or theme. Good middle ground between hand coding and using a heavy plugin.
- Custom Meta and Settings with CMB2 – WPSessions.com
- GenerateWP: answer questions to generate code for CPTs (among other things)
- Posts 2 Posts to connect CPTs
- Easy Content Types: plugin to create CPTs
Using CPTs and Advanced Custom Fields
Presented by Chad Warner
- example portfolio
- Advanced Custom Fields
- template files
- archive-portfolio.php: portfolio archive (http://optimwise.com/portfolio/)
- single-portfolio.php: portfolio singles (e.g., http://optimwise.com/portfolio/e3-compliance/)
- Add new image size
- Change the number of portfolio items to be displayed
- Customize Portfolio post info and post meta
- Add support for portfolio post type to Genesis archive settings
Bob Orchard did a review of Gravity Forms, and Topher did a review of Contact Form 7, Ninja Forms, and Caldera Forms.
Both were recorded, you can watch below.
We talked about Booking Reservations and Appointments at our April 16, 2015 meetup. Below are the notes.
BirchPress Scheduler and PTA Volunteer Sign Up Sheets
Presented by Matthew Patulski
Other reservation, appointment, and event plugins
Presented by Chad Warner
- Event Espresso
- Event Registration
- Appointments+ (WPMU DEV)
- The Events Calendar (Modern Tribe)
Even more options
These plugins and services were recommended by the group.
Topher DeRosia recommended the post Best Hotel and Room Reservation Plugins for WordPress (WP Mayor).