We talked about Building Web Apps with WordPress at our Jan 15, 2015 meetup. Below are the notes.
WordPress as a Web App
Presented by Brian Richards
- Custom post types
- Custom taxonomies
- Custom meta: post meta, user meta, comment meta
- User roles & restrictions
- Post relationships (via Posts 2 Posts)
- Ask: who is your core audience? What are they trying to do with the data? Answers help with information architecture.
- BadgeOS: free plugin that lets you easily create achievements and issue sharable badges as your users succeed
- Why start with WordPress? You can build very quickly because of the tools available in WordPress.
- Caching: use transients, Varnish, memcached
Using WordPress to Power an Application: How we built a rewards platform in just a few weeks
Presented by Bob Orchard
- Choose Your Features
- Plan Your Development
- Install WordPress
- Create Your Plugin
We’ve started planning WordCamp Grand Rapids 2015! We’ll have our first volunteer meeting after the next meetup (Feb 19). You’re welcome to join us!