Our January 2014 meetup topic was Lightning Talks: 6-minute WordPress Presentations. Here are notes from the 5 lightning talks.
If I missed anything, please leave a comment, and I’ll add to the post.
Advanced Custom Fields
- Advanced Custom Fields in WordPress Plugin Directory
- Visually create custom fields.
- Select from multiple input types (text, textarea, wysiwyg, image, file, page link, post object, relationship, select, checkbox, radio buttons, date picker, true / false, repeater, flexible content, gallery and more to come!).
- Assign your fields to multiple edit pages (via custom location rules).
- Documentation at advancedcustomfields.com
- Great when paired with CPTs (custom post types). I use Custom Post Type UI.
- Create field group
- Use field in theme
- Use field in shortcode
Intro to WordPress Hooks
Posts 2 Posts
- Install Posts 2 Posts
- Register a connection type in functions.php
- Edit post, find new Connected Pages meta box
- Click Create connection. Find page.
See Posts 2 Posts plugin wiki for more details.
Reducing login attempts by changing the login URL
Install Rename wp-login.php and use it to change URL to something obscure. Then add code below to .htaccess to deny access to wp-login.php. The code makes it impossible to log in at wp-login.php for everyone. Bots keep trying and get a 403, but humans go to the new login page that you’ve told them about.
deny from all
Passwordless 2-factor authentication with Clef