WordPress Marketing Automation: July 2014 meetup
We talked about WordPress Marketing Automation at our July 2014 meetup. Dan Kaufman, marketing consultant at Empowered Marketing and co-organizer of I Love Marketing GR spoke about how to automate a sales funnel and must-have plugins.
Get ready for WordCamp Grand Rapids 2014, August 15-17! You can buy a ticket, volunteer, and/or sponsor.
Remember, you can also find us on Meetup, Twitter (@wpgrandrapids and #wpgr), and Google Groups.
Download Dan Kaufman’s presentation on WordPress Marketing Automation (PDF).
Marketing automation defined
Marketing automation: streamlining sales and marketing by replacing high-touch, repetitive manual processes with automated solutions.
Marketing automation systems
- LeadPages: good-looking custom landing page, high conversion rate
- OptinMonster: popup and lead generation plugin, with exit intent
Marketing automation cont.
- Popups: if pop up in 5-10 seconds, response rate goes up by at least 20%
- Exit intent offer: can give higher response rate than standard popups
- Zapier: automate by creating “zaps” between systems (such as MailChimp to GoToWebinar)
- IFTTT: automate by creating “recipes” that connect various systems. Free.
Must-have WordPress plugins
- OptinMonster (premium)
- Jetpack: helps automate marketing (e.g., Publicize)
- Revive Old Post
- OptinSkin: nice-looking, high-converting opt-in form. Dan likes LeadPages better.
- OnePress Social Locker
- Facebook Like to Download for WordPress: require a Facebook like to download
- Hello Bar
- Lead magnet
- Welcome mat offer
- Core offer
- Profit maximizer
- Return path
- Blog and guest blog
- Contest/giveaway: do something creative; don’t just give a Starbucks gift card
- Buy targeted traffic
- Social media
- Press releases
- Solo ads: buy right to send emails to targets (minimum $300)
- Media buys
- Small “chunk” of value that solves a specific problem for a specific market offered in exchange for an opt-in
- Promises “one big thing”
- Speaks to a known desired end result
- Offers immediate gratification
- High perceived value
- High actual value (has an “aha moment”)
- Can be consumed in under 5 minutes
- Professional logo
- Branded/lifestyle image
- Lead magnet offer
- Simple, above the fold opt-in form
- “No thanks” link
Welcome mat offer
- Irresistible, super-low-ticket offer that converts prospects into buyers
- Once a customer has purchased from you, they’re far more likely to keep spending. Maximize front-end conversions by keeping price point as low as possible.
- Typically under $20 (low-cost report or book); sometimes offered for free with shipping and handling.
- Low barrier to entry; impulse buy
- Easy to understand and explain
- Seamlessly leads to core sale
- Useful but incomplete
- High perceived value
- High actual value
- Flagship product/service
- Irresistible offer
- Upsell, cross-sell, or subscription
- Increase average customer value and overall engagement
- Put non-buyers in follow-up series
- Generate additional revenue from existing
- Exit offer ideas
- New lead magnet
- Highlight an unadvertised bonus
- Quiz or survey
- New appeal